As a child I LOVED Green Eggs and Ham. I remember reading it at any time of day. I would read it to anyone that asked me. I LOVED GREEN EGGS AND HAM. Krista I am.
Why oh why then does my daughter not like Doctor Suess and prefers "anything princess"? Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast among her top favorite stories. She has a Cinderella costume that has been stuck to her body for the last two days. She walks around with her tiara and her "dancing shoes" as much as she possibly can. It leads me to question gender stereotypes.
I have tried and tried to mix and match my daughter's toys. I have bought her gender neutral clothes. some clothes were definate boy clothes. She has balls and bats. A bike. A soccer ball a football. She has dolls and dress-ups. She doesn't have the stereotypical pink stroller, pink swing, pink bike, or pink exersaucer. She has blue and green and yellow and orange toys. So why the preference to dolls, kitchen sets, princesses and dresses?
My education with a Bachelor of Arts in Sociology allows me too look at gender and give my daughter the male or female options. I do not limit her requests b/c that is a boy thing or that is a girl thing. I asked her if she wanted a transformer or strawberry shortcake for her birthday and she said strawberry shortcake.
My question is where did this GIRLY GIRL come from? I am not a girly girl. I can get ready to go out in less than 5 minutes. I don't need to be dressed up ... ever. I like sweats and a tshirt. I like to watch football. I played softball, volleyball, basketball. I can toss a football. Catching may be another story. I know how to use a hammer, cut the grass, paint, sew, cook, dance, putty a hole, swing a bat, paint my nails, use eyeliner, change a tire, use a measuring tape, use a pressure washer, weed wacker, lift weights, sing kareoke, use hair curlers, use a glue gun, dye my hair.
I find it more funny than anything that she enjoys to go to the grocery in her Cinderella dress and the next day, she uses her tape measure, hammer and screw driver to help her dad fix things around the house. I love her just the way she is. One day she may like Green Eggs and Ham!
No comments:
Post a Comment